Thursday, January 15, 2015

To Believe or Not to Believe


A few days ago, I was scanning over some of the recent Amazon reviews of my first book, when one in particular jumped out at me. The reviewer started out by stating that she (or he?), too, had been a child abuse victim, and fully understood the incidents described in Call Me Tuesday. That, alone, is nothing out of the ordinary. It saddens me to write that I receive correspondence—through email, Facebook, and my blog—practically every day from fellow abuse survivors, many of whom suffered through almost exactly what I did. The thing about this review that struck me, really pricked at my heart, was what the reviewer said next. She said she would love to find the courage to write her own story but, “some of the incidents are too unbearable to comprehend that people could do that to a child and people would choose not to believe it rather than to try to understand there are heinous monsters in this world disguised as loved ones.”

Her childhood was so horrible, so incomprehensible that she’s convinced there’s no use writing about it, because there would be people who wouldn't  believe her. And the dismal truth is she’s probably right. If she were to write and publish her story, there would be many who would have no problem calling her a liar. I know, because I get it all the time. Not so much to my face, but I’ve read comments online and reviews saying they think the events described in my book were either all made up, or exaggerated. It used to bother me. Make me cry. Hell, who am I fooling? It still bothers me. Still makes me cry. But I’m getting tougher. And I needed to thicken up my skin some, so for that I can thank the non-believers. Truth is, they are the reason I, and most abuse victims, never told anyone what was happening to us when we were kids. We were afraid no one would believe us. And now as adults, when we’ve finally mustered the courage to tell, those of us who’ve chosen to write it all down must live out that childhood fear again and again with every “I don’t believe” review.

Really, in defense of non-believers, most child abuse stories are unbelievable. The majority of the population (thank God) has difficulty processing such information because they can’t fathom harming a child under any circumstances. Others just don’t want to face the truth that such terrible things happen. Possibly another reason abuse books garner doubt is because, besides their obvious, sometimes jaw-dropping, descriptions of inhumane treatment of another human being, the author almost always changes the names and locations. Why? I believe I can speak for all child abuse memoirists when I say the intent of telling our stories was not to inflict harm or cast blame, but rather to help, to heal. The true names are not essential to the message, and incriminating the individuals involved, after the fact, would not be beneficial to anyone except for the purpose of revenge, which in my experience has always been a waste of energy. Using real names would only cause trouble and pain, and Lord knows we former victims don’t need any more of either one of those things in our lives.

There are probably some authors who have pulled a James Frey and published fabricated material to get attention or make a few bucks. But I can’t imagine why anyone would do this because there are too many other, more pleasant and profitable subjects to write about. Abuse memoirists actually lose a large portion of the reading population because many people would rather not read about something so depressing. Whether or not some of the books out there are exaggerated, I don’t know. Speaking for myself, I can tell you that I wrote the way I remember feeling at the time. But, as with my fellow child abuse memoirists, I was a child, and when you’re young, things do sometimes seem larger than life.

The people who never doubt stories of abuse are other abuse survivors. I remember how I reacted when I read a Child Called It, by Dave Pelzer. It’s been a while, but if my recollections are correct, the author was stabbed, forced to drink bleach and eat the contents of a dirty diaper. Unbelievable, right? Not to me. I knew his account was true, every word, because I had once faced the same evil. At the time, Pelzer’s book was one of the few of its kind on the market. Today there are many touching and inspiring memoirs and novels about child abuse available to the reader. Like with any other genre, there are some good reads and some bad ones. If you are interested in the subject, a couple of noteworthy books to consider downloading to your reader, or adding to your personal library, are Spilled Milk, by K. L Randis, a lovely novel in which the author artfully recounts how she brought her abusive father to justice, and Ghost No More, by Cee Cee James, who, unlike me, was able to rise above her abuse with dignity and grace. 

In my opinion, there can never be too many books on the subject, because volume heightens awareness. I encourage every abuse survivor to write your story, and if you feel so inclined, publish it, even though by putting something unbelievable out there for the world to read, you’re setting yourself up for some harsh ridicule. Still, the rewards are worth the risk. Publishing my books has been one of the most emotionally fulfilling experiences of my life. And probably the most therapeutic part, aside from the actual catharsis, has been connecting with other child abuse survivors.

As for the non-believers, if our shocking childhood stories don’t ring true to you, please know, we didn’t write them for you. We wrote our stories for our brothers and sisters who suffered in secret right along with us, to let them know they were not alone after all. And for the boy in junior high school who decides to speak up when he recognizes that a classmate’s actions bear a resemblance to a character's he read about in one of our books. We wrote them for those of you who want to learn, to know the signs of an abused child, and be made aware so you can attempt to make the world around you a better place.

19 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved CeeCee's book. I cried the entire way through, but it was important to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story! As a survivor of childhood abuse it really helps heal the soul knowing you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Trudy. I hope your life is now filled with love and light.

      Delete
  3. I just finished Call Me Tuesday a few minutes ago then googled your name. I downloaded the book yesterday morning. Couldn't put it down(well, my phone.) I never went through anything like that though I did suffer a lot in my childhood, especially during my foster care years. I don't know how you did it. I have so many questions. About to download and read your next book. You're a very strong person. Theres so much I want to ask and say to you, but I'd be going on forever. I hope the rest of your life is filled with happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and sharing your feelings. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the books. My email is leighbyrne@wowway.com. I appreciate you and your kindness, and I wish you much happiness as well.

      Delete
  4. Well said! :-) I believe you. I may not have endured that type of abuse but I believe u and I know it happens out there. Very upsetting and people who are non believers really need to wake up to that! I commend u on your amazing strength and also for that u dont do revenge at all. U are one of those good souls out there we need more of u :-). Thank you for sharing your story, it was so deep and heartfelt. You are one of those souls I respect highly, survivor and being able to share and live your life the best way you want. Im fully Deaf since birth and had a mostly good life but was picked on for being deaf and having a cleft palate that was fixed in 5 ops and a father who was angry at himself for me being born the way I was and would take his anger out on me as I was growing up, but he and I are ok now. Thanks again for your story xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. For reading my books and believing me, but most of all, for sharing part of YOUR story. You inspire me...your obvious love for life, for others, despite your difficulties. I'm still healing, and the one thing that has been most beneficial in the painful process, more than the writing of the books, more than any counseling or medication, is hearing other people's stories and being reminded that so many have suffered much more than I have. I want you to know that I'm a little stronger for having read your comment.

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy to hear this :) and to be able to connect with you and chat with you. Yes the healing process takes many years, you are doing really well. You are very strong but remember you are allowed to not be strong sometimes. I'm really glad to see you have made friends through here and sharing your story and I'm pleased to call you one of my friends. I think all that we have been through unites us, we all have that understanding from our experiences that help each other. Lets keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can and does happen. I'm a CASA worker, a court appointed special advocate and I speak for children in court that are in foster care. Thankfully, I've never personally had a case that bad, but my last case had a mom pregnant with her 6th child, using cocaine up until the birth, living in a 2 bedroom apt with 19 people and 3 beds, no food at all in the house, kids with lice so bad, their heads were bleeding and filthy and smelling of urine when they bothered to show up at school. Mom and dad received food stamps but they sold them for drugs while the kids existed on a bag of chips between them. And that's just a plain Jane drug and neglect case. How evil is that? The kids have missed so much school, the 5th grader was barely reading on a 1st grade level. And this is a GOOD case. So I commend you for telling your story and ignore the haters, it's just ignorance and disbelief. Spread the word from the rooftops that abuse is still abuse even when it;s from the parent and it's NOT OK!! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you for sharing this. We need to hear more stories of abuse and neglect of all kinds to keep it in our minds so we can be on the look out for signs in the children around us. Kudos to you for taking the time to heighten awareness, and thanks for your service to our society!

      Delete
  7. You are beautiful. Loved your books and totally believe you. Wish we could talk. God bless you. Hope to see you in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tanya...for believing, for contacting me. We CAN talk...maybe Facebook friends? We WILL me in heaven. Sending love your way. :)

      Delete
  8. I feel this need to contact you. Your books affected me in a very profound way. I never endured the kind of abuse you did described as a child and I am sorry to read that you did in such a horrible way. No child deserves what you went through. With that said, I too suffered from abuse as a child. I believe I endured sexual abuse at the hands of my father at the age of 4 ( I don't want to go into detail here). As I got older I relied on my mother to nurture me but she always pushed me away and told me to stop being so sensitive. I could never count on her to help me when I got bullied for the ugly, short haircut(she insisted that the pixie haircut was cute but I felt like a boy), the ugly clothes and the red hair and freckles that I was born with. I stood out as a very young girl and always felt like a boy. I was tormented for my looks and when I would tell my mom when I cried about being teased she would tell me to turn off the waterworks. This is just one way that I grew up feeling like I didn't matter. Your story, especially in the second book, runs parallel to mine from the man I married the first time around til now.I would love to connect with you. If you want you can find me on facebook at Jeanine Farrar Bubick. I hope to hear from you and Thank You for sharing your heartbreaking story and having the courage to share it with the world. Leigh, you are an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jeanine,

    First of all, I appreciate you sharing your experience with me and the readers of this blog. Hearing of what others have been through really helps all of us survivors feel more human. Thank you.

    Being betrayed by your father had to be soul-crushing, because little girls adore their dads. But I have to say, the insensitivity of your mother when you reached out to her for help was probably just as damaging. I know my daddy not helping me hurt just as much, if not more, than my mother's abuse. Sounds like we have a lot in common because our stories are very similar. I know it can't help now, but I'm sorry for what you endured during that tender part of your life. Truly, I can feel your pain.

    I found you on FB, but for some strange reason didn't see a tab to add you as a friend. It was late. I will try again today. Looking forward to learning more about you through Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad how people would not believe someone about being abused as a child. I have recently been drawn in by someone who I hope to be a "Dani" to. He was my neighbor when I was in my early 20's and I had no idea there was anything wrong. His mother would come over quite often. She had a great admiration for my mother and was a bit of a nuisance, but all of us knew the house was not a happy one. She was not the abuser though. Forty years later, he moved back to town and stopped by to see me and introduce his wife and their newly adopted daughter. He as just in the neighborhood showing her where he grew up and decided to see if I was still here. I had moved back to take care of my dad and remained in the house after my dad died. I was glad to see him and was a little surprised when he called one day and asked if I would go to lunch with them. A few weeks later, after falling and shattering my shoulder, he asked me to have a Christmas dinner with them a few days before Christmas. I was totally shocked when I got a letter from him a couple of months later stating he was in jail for molesting his daughter. He told me it was true and he had confessed to all of it. I decided to hang in with him because I knew he had been through something as a child, just not what. Back then, abuse wasn't thought of like today and it never occurred to me. He has now started opening up to me probably because he realizes I'm not judging him and I refuse to abandon him. I put money on his account and have gotten him a phone account so he can call people. Those "people" me, of course. I know/hope there must be people out there who will believe him now that he has started to finally admit some of what happened to him. From what he has told me, his abuse was by an older brother, but abuse was heaped upon his sisters by their father. He is extremely intelligent and had a great career, but I assume you can never completely get past the abuse. Just about everyone in his life has totally turned against him and I've been been judged by them for not turning against him. I can only say WWJD (what would Jesus do) to those people and do what I feel is right. He wants help so badly and I believe he is very remorseful for what he did. He worries about that child a lot. I'm so sorry there are people who would do what was done to you and am very thankful I do not have a clue how you feel. You are a strong person, obviously, and I admire what you've done with your writing. You are very talented. I had a hard time putting the books down, but I knew you survived or wouldn't be here to write them and I told myself if you got through it the least I could do is read it. I decided you have an advantage some don't have. You are not only beautiful outside, but inside as well. I hope your books are cathartic and make you a ton of money on top of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, first of all, thank you for sharing this story. I promise you I'm not the only one who will be moved by what you have written here. I must say, you have a huge heart and more compassion than most. Because your friend abused his daughter, many people would have turned away from him, but you realize that all too often abuse breeds abuse, and he too is a victim. He needs help, but until he's whole and emotionally and mentally healthy, I believe he also needs to be kept away from children. He's so fortunate to have you in his corner...I hope he appreciates your support. I wish you the best moving forward. Child abuse is toxic, contaminating entire families and many generations. We, as a society, are just beginning to understand the repercussions of allowing it to flourish in the 60's, 70's and even 80's.

      I want to thank you, also, for your kind praise of me and my writing. Yes, getting my story out was cathartic, but at the same time painful, and I'm glad the process is over. Without a doubt, the best part of having published the books is hearing from people like you.

      Delete
  11. st finished your book and now looking into yoyr other forms of social media/ literature. im 7 months pregnant snd couldn't keeps my hands off of my belly the entire time, your testimony has made me want to love everyone in my life that much harder and reach out that much more. thank you for story and i wish you all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment...thank you. Wishing you the best as well!

      Delete