Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Are You Happy?


In the past, I always hated when people asked me the simple question, “How are you?” because the answer—the truth—was ugly and something they probably didn’t want to hear. It’s a superficial question we all ask to be polite, and what we expect the answer to be, whether it’s true or not, is what almost everyone says: “I’m fine.” While deep down we may genuinely care about the happiness of others, we ask mostly for selfish reasons, to come across as kind and compassionate so we can continue our day feeling good about ourselves. After all, we have our own problems with which to contend, our own illusive happiness to chase.
A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of vacationing in Maine, in the Casco Bay area. Anyone who knows me can tell you I’ve always wanted to go to New England, and Maine was at the top of my list. Although there were many places I wanted to visit—Paris, England, Australia—I desperately needed to go to Maine. It’s something I have harped on for my entire adult life. Why Maine? I honestly don’t know; all I can tell you is the area beckoned my soul as if I belonged there. I just knew there was a quaint cottage nestled in a wooded area, near a rocky beach with my name on the mailbox. I was convinced that if I ever made it to Maine I would be truly happy.
So after a three hour airplane flight we arrive in Portland—my husband, Wally, his parents and I, and contrary to what I’d always imagined, I am no happier than I was back in Indiana. In a rental car on the way to our hotel, I am anxiously looking out the window at the lush landscape and charming Cape Cod houses in search of inspiration. Where was that magical feeling I’d dreamed of? Where was my instantaneous bliss?
The next day, in downtown Portland, I finally get my first close-up experience of a Maine harbor. As soon as the car is parked I bolt from it and run out onto the pier. Surrounded by docked sailboats, the salty air on my cheeks, seagulls above me dipping close to my head, all at once my heart takes flight and I feel a goofy, childlike grin take over my face. My in-laws are chattering behind me, and Wally is asking me something about his sunglasses, but I am speechless.
Now, once again, I’m back in my home in Indiana. Am I happy? Perhaps the most sincere answer I can give is "Most of the time." For me, happiness comes and goes. Even though I had a lousy childhood and my young adult years weren’t much better, there were snippets of joy sprinkled throughout so intense that when I recall them today they still bring a smile to my face. At eight years old, dancing on my grandma’s baby grand piano as she played it, and later, as an adult, hearing the laughter of my children.
It’s been said that we create our own luck. I say we create our own happiness too. We all have a choice. We can allow the dark spots of our past to overshadow our future, or we can recognize and seize the fragments of light all around us as life so generously presents them daily. I choose happy :). Which do you choose?

10 comments:

  1. Just finished your first book. Going to read the second one today. I applaud you for all the things you have overcome. I had an abusive mother growing up and she had a crazy abusive partner as well. I know the pain you felt being rejected. I too choose happiness over the dark areas of my childhood. I am not perfect and I have grey days here and there, but for the most part I have turned out.. ok. The best part? My daughter and I are best friends. Something my "mother" and I could never achieve. I was determined to always be there for my children as best I could.
    Oh, and next time you go to Maine, try "old orchard beach." That place is my happy place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy! Thank you for sharing your experience of abuse with the readers of my blog. Simply knowing they are not alone is deeply inspiring to your fellow survivors. I especially want to thank you for pointing out that you have a loving relationship with your daughter. A common misconception is that abuse victims are more likely to abuse their children. Actually I believe it's the other way around--we try harder NOT to. So glad you are happy! I wish you all the joy you deserve.

      Delete
  2. Hi Leigh, thank you for replying. I just finished your second book and I am so glad you finally found happiness! Of course I cried many times as well. I actually see a lot of similarities that we share. I find it very hard to trust and once that is broken...watch out! Also.. I have never driven. At 47 years of age... I just got my permit! Thank you again for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just adore you! I'm sending you a big hug! Stay happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, thank you! Are you on FB..? I tried to look for you but was not able to find you. I'd love to know you more. If you would rather give it to me in private, my email is in my profile... I think..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy! It may be easier to find my "Call Me Tuesday" FB page and then I can befriend you on my personal page. I'd love to find out more about you as well! I really admire you for trying for your driver's license! Good luck!

      Delete
  5. okies!! am going there right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished your second book. What an amazing and inspiring woman you are. I am so impressed with the way that persevered and never gave up or surrendered to the dark. I have already suggested your books for my book club. You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talisa,
      I'm honored to hear you were touched by my story. It was written for you, and only you know why. Sending love and hugs your way. If your book club chooses the books, I would be happy to assist you with discussion questions:).

      Delete