Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Bullying

Last week, while my husband was away on a business trip, with many sleepless late-night hours to fill, I got on a Netflix documentary kick. Into the wee hours of the morning, I became enlightened to the challenges of living with bipolar disorder, saw jaw-dropping accounts of extreme hoarding, and peeked out over the top of my covers in horror as I watched reenactments of people being mauled by wild animals. Then I ran across a documentary on bullying in our schools, and passed over it, fearing it would trigger painful recollections of my own childhood experiences. But the show kept calling me to watch it, as if a subconscious part of me needed to know what our kids are going through today. I gave in and clicked on it.


What I saw was so sad. Nothing has changed since I was in school. If a kid is the least bit different, they are at risk for being bullied by their peers. At first I cried buckets of tears, and then, I became nail-spitting mad at the bullies, and the teachers who turned a blind eye. And yes, as I had expected, I was taken back to those excruciating days when I was made fun of for my high-water pants and greasy hair. Having been bullied, I can tell you there is no deeper wound than being rejected and humiliated by the very people whose acceptance you seek most. A child should never have to suffer in this way.


Some of the kids in the documentary were so tortured by their bullies, in order to escape the pain, they ultimately took their own lives. Committed suicide at eleven and twelve years old! This got me to wondering why I didn't consider doing the same when I was a kid. I was abused at home, bullied at school. God knows I was miserable enough to at least be entitled to the notion. But suicide never once crossed my mind, and the reason is really quite simple: Death wasn't an option for me. I was too busy trying to survive to even consider dying. Looking back, I realize my life may not have actually been in danger, but, with a child's mind, I thought it was, and when you think you're in danger, automatic survival instincts kick in.


By the time I was in Jr. high school, I did, however, find a way to fight back. I was on the staff of the school newspaper, and could pretty much write about anything I wanted, so I decided to write about the cruel way some kids were treating those of us who were "different." In hindsight, I'm not clear what I expected to accomplish by doing this. Maybe I thought calling these bullies out might magically make them like me, or feel so ashamed by my words that they would stop making fun of other kids. I can't tell you what I was hoping for, but I can tell you what actually happened. The publication of the article only made things worse. Of course, I didn't mention any names, but the guilty parties somehow knew who they were (why is it usually the popular kids?), and they offered some snide remarks and dirty looks, and their teasing and ridicule of me continued with even more viciousness. But I also remember enjoying a silent, personal victory, because at least I got their attention. It was perhaps the first time I realized the true power of the written word.


My life at home was actually worse than my life at school, so I believe for that reason, I developed a high tolerance for abuse of any kind. But most kids don't have such thick skin. Being bullied is crushing and devastating, and sometimes leads them to a lonely, hopeless place, with nowhere to turn for help. They seldom go to their parents, because kids are often too ashamed to disclose they've been cast out by their peers, too embarrassed to admit they don't have friends. And I get that. Even if I'd had loving parents, I wouldn't have told them about my predicament because of this shame.


So what can I pass on to parents and grandparents from my experience? Your kid is most likely not going to tell you if he or she is being bullied at school. You have to be proactive and look for the signs yourself. Does your child consistently find excuses not to go to school? Has he or she suddenly become withdrawn? Does he or she never get invited to a friend's house for a sleepover? If so, there's a chance your child may be hiding something. And believe me, this is one dark and dangerous road you do not want your baby to travel alone.

14 comments:

  1. Very well written. You are an awesome writer. Your words are powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Your words are powerful too...they have rendered me speechless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh- i have been reading your books and my heart aches. It has become an honor to even be able to write to you, in hope you write back. I try to hold back the tears of the pain and the feeling of being unloved you felt through your childhood. No child should have to experience such pain. Know that those who have read your books, have fallingin love. You are loved by many. You are indeed a very special women. Beautiful inside as well as out. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosa, what a lovely, tender-hearted lady you must be! I choked up reading your comment, knowing how deeply you were touched by my story. Yes, my childhood was miserable, and yes, I felt all alone and unloved. I too sometimes feel sorry for the little girl I used to be. But please know that now I am surrounded by love, and support, and the pain of my past is but a distant memory. The one good thing that came from what I went through is I appreciate every act of kindness, including this lovely note from you! This one is going to stick with me for a long time. Thank you, Rosa, for coming into my life and taking the time to contact me. XO

      Delete
  4. Hello Leigh! How are you? I just finished reading your book Call Me Tuesday. I also read Call Me Cockroach. I have always been drawn to books about child abuse. The reason? I don't know, because my childhood was a happy one. Our family is full of hugs and I love you's. I am a photographer and take pictures for the yearbook at my daughter school. She will be 8 this month. The other day as I sat alone at the lunch table at her school, I looked around at all the exciting children, it was a friday which meant no school tomorrow and ice cream today! As I looked closely, I was in search for a sign of abuse, but it was so hard to see, so hard to find beneath all the happy faces. Was it just I didn't look deep enough or maybe I was looking for something that was not even there at all. As I waited a little longer, I heard a few children yell... "Mrs. Kruper!" As they ran towards my way in from recess, they showered me with hugs. As I hugged them back and told them how beautiful they looked, I thought... are these the children I have been looking for? Are they the ones who are neglected at home? Do they get hugs and compliments at home? As they sat and finished their lunch they asked if I would buy them an ice cream because there was no money in their lunch account. I have done this plenty of times for them, so they knew the answer would be yes. Do their parents have no money or is this is a small sign of child abuse. I have send notes home to their parents in hope for a play date, but never get a respond back. These children are the same ones that you never see at birthday parties or have the supplies they need for school. There is this one particular little girl who looked up at my one day last year and said..."I wish you were my mommy." Although I was flattered, my heart broke, because why would a 7 year old say that? I grabbed her and hugged her tight, placed a kiss upon her cheek. No words were spoken, because I had none to say.
    This world is full of angry people and at times its hard to shield our children from them. It's a scary thought knowing that someday my husband and I will have to let our daughter, Nyla, go on her own when she is ready. I often tell her I want to hold on to her forever and never let go!
    What can I do to help these children? What can I do to know if they really are being abused at home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leigh! I forgot to sign my name on the recent post. xo
    -Rosa Kruper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Rosa! So nice to hear from you again! I applaud you for paying so close attention to the children around you. I believe God puts us in places for a reason. There may have been a reason you read my books (by the way, thank you). The reason may be that now you are more sensitive to the children you come in contact with daily. You have a gut feeling something is wrong. Listen to your instincts. The little girl who told you she wished you were her mommy is of particular concern to me because that sounds like something I would have said as a child. I once told one of the ladies who worked in the lunchroom in my elementary school that I wished I could live with her. Maybe you could ask this child (or others) a few subtle questions. They must be subtle. If not she could clam up out of fear. Maybe you could ask her to tell you about her toys at home, or what kind of games she likes to play with her siblings or mom and dad. Or you could ask her what she had for dinner last night. Or what she got for Christmas. If she doesn't get excited, or seems reticent, she could be hiding something. When it comes to child abuse, its better to err on the side of caution. Remember now it's possible to make an anonymous call to social services if you have a suspicion of abuse. God bless you, Rosa, for loving the children. I know you are a wonderful mother to Nyla. Hugs, and thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leigh, If it is no trouble I would really like to know more about you... how are your days spent, how are your two children doing, maybe you have some grandchildren? Do you still have some type of contact with "Chad". Are there anymore pictures you can share of the past and present? You are an amazing women and it would be such a joy knowing how your life turned out to be. xo
    *If these are things that you would prefer not to share, I totally understand. :)
    I am also looking forward to reading your new book that comes out in May!
    It's always a pleasure talking to you. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
    Rosa Kruper xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa! Thank you for your interest in me, as a person.

      I prefer to make public only generalized aspects of my PRESENT life. I am now a very private person, semi-reclusive...you might even say I'm a loner. My life is quite unremarkable, simple and uncomplicated, and I love it that way. I have had enough drama and excitement to last a lifetime. My husband is wonderful and so are my two children and my stepdaughter, and yes, there are grandchildren, including one on the way. I have no contact with my ex husband, but I wish him well.

      I write full time from my home. Currently I'm working on a novel--a romance/psychological thriller--that I hope to release by the end of the year. I'm not sure where you read that my book will be out in May, but I'm certain I won't be finished by then.

      Again, thank you for your interest and concern. You seem like a special lady!

      Delete
  8. Hi Leigh,

    It has been such an honor to have held a conversation with you. It is amazing how you take time out to communicate with your readers. I appreciate your responds as well as your helpful advice along with your compliments.

    After reading your two books, (and not be able to put them down) I often thought of you and was in amazed at your strength of survival. What a special lady "YOU" must be. Through your story, I have learned a lot of things... from what to look for when my instincts kicks in, to holding Nyla a little longer or giving her one more kiss before she goes to bed.

    I wish you and your family much happiness. God bless you, Leigh, and thank you again for giving me the chance to be in contact with such an amazing women.

    Fondly,
    Rosa Kruper

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to respond to the following anonymous comment that was left on this post, Friday, February 21, and was then deleted, or somehow lost.

    "Leigh,
    A common symptom of adult survivors of childhood abuse is to become reclusive.
    Read the Penny Parks Foundation page of symptoms of Adult Survivors.

    Your writing is very believable. It has a great flow to it too. Please don't stop
    Writing. If it is your gift please continue using it. Maybe you could write a children's book about abuse. I don't know how or what would be appropriate, but you really have a knack for sharing, without making it seem over-the-top like one very famous book written by a man about his childhood. Not to be critical of him, but you come across as honest without making it too grotesque, or salacious, which could almost draw the wrong readers. His book somehow seems to be too graphic, where your book comes across as showing a child's tender feelings being abused, but not stomach churning.

    You wrote a book which has the exact feelings of someone abused, you also show the exact hatred some mothers have for their daughters. I have read Many books, but none comes close to being as authentic as yours. It shows the reality of how abuse lasts a long time and why to quote one survivor, "At first I thought I was lucky to survive, but now I see some of the luckiest ones don't. " It is a life sentence from which you can never be paroled.

    Posted by Anonymous to Sometimes on Tuesday at February 21, 2014 at 5:54 PM

    Dear Anonymous,

    I want you to know your advice is greatly valued, and your compliments and encouragement, cherished, and that I'm deeply moved by your insight and compassion. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for writing about this. I also think that all parents should be on the look out for the bullies themselves. Could their child be the bully?

    ReplyDelete