Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tell

Some people--particularly a few members of my family--have asked why I felt the need to write a book based on my childhood abuse. They can't fathom how I could possibly benefit from revealing such embarrassing family secrets. Was it cathartic? Was it to get even? To make money?

No, no and no.

You see, severe childhood trauma tends to get caught in the crevices of one's soul and therefore, it's not easily purged by something as simple as writing. At least that's been my experience. If it were that easy everyone who's ever been a victim would just write it down and be done with it. Healed. Happy. Normal.

As far as getting even goes, well, that's just impossible. There's no way to even the score of losing your childhood, your self esteem, your ability to trust, and part of your adult sanity. Besides, my blood relatives are so far-removed from my life, unless they wanted someone to know we're related, because our last names are different, it would be next to impossible to make the connection.

A money-making scheme? Hardly. As an independent author, I have no hopes of becoming rich, or famous from the meager proceeds of this book.

Then why on earth did I write such a disgusting, humiliating story based on my life? The main reason is really a pretty basic human need--I wrote it to tell.

For most of my childhood I was afraid to tell, forbidden to tell, and for a long time, I didn't tell. Then when I tried to tell no one believed me. And no one else in my family would tell, so for many years, my abuse was kept a secret, and of course, my family thinks it should continue to be a secret. But I'm no longer a child and no longer afraid. Now I can tell. And that's why I did tell.

Really, above all else, it's the key message of my book: It's okay to tell. By telling my own story I send my message to all abused children and adult survivors. But today, in honor of Child Abuse Prevention/Awareness Month, I send the message, not to abused children, but to their families. Because for almost every abused child out there today, there are family members who suspect something but are not telling. That's one reason, in my opinion, why child abuse is still so prevalent.

Every time you read an article, or hear on the news about another child dying from abuse, ask yourself this: why didn't anyone in the family tell? Surely a parent, stepmother, stepfather, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, an aunt or uncle suspected something. Unless the abuser was a single parent with an only child, who had cut off all contact with family and friends, believe me, someone knew something and didn't tell. I am convinced of this because after I became an adult, practically everyone in my extended family admitted to me they knew I was being mistreated but didn't tell.

Adult survivors, still keeping your secret, you now have a chance to have the tiny voice of the child within you to be heard. Tell. Or consider writing down what happened to you, like I did. You don't have to publish it (writing just happens to be my thing) but you can write about it and let someone you love read what you've written. No matter what anyone says, it did happen. And it's your turn to tell.

If by chance I'm fortunate enough to have a young person, who is in some way involved in abuse, happen upon this blog, or my book, I hope they get my message loud and clear: tell. If  you are afraid, or if the words are too horrifying to utter, then write it down and slip it to someone. If you're not being abused yourself, but a sibling is, or you suspect one of your friends may be a victim--please, please tell.




8 comments:

  1. I'm just about finished with Call Me Tuesday. I really don't know why I'm drawn to memoirs -- especially ones that are so full of pain. Maybe it's a need to know that people can pick themselves up and triumph over impossible challenges. Or maybe I have some need to feel better about my own life and be reminded that maybe it's not so bad after all.

    Maybe I'll never really know why I'm drawn to them, but I am grateful for them. And prefer them over works of fiction.

    So I don't feel that anybody has to justify why they want to write about their life. I imagine beyond anything else, it is highly therapeutic to confront a traumatic childhood and write about it. And to be brave enough to share it with the world is truly amazing. If a brave story like yours resonates and inspires even one teacher, one friend, or one family member who can find the compassion to save a child in a similar situation, then what an accomplishment for you!

    I just bought Call Me Cockroach for my Kindle. I'm so happy to know that you're continuing to share your story. I wish you nothing but the best.

    I also want to make mention that the Kindle has opened me up to a large number of indie authors with life stories to tell. Authors that impressed me and gained a new fan for any future works they publish. I will be watching for your future books, too, Leigh -- whether they are fiction or non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my books and for sharing your feelings. I need to hear from compassionate people like you to remind me why I decided to put my story out there for the world to read.

      I wrote the books because I felt it's a story that needed to be told. People find it difficult to comprehend that a mother is capable of such cruelty to her child. As more and more stories like mine surface, maybe the public will be made aware and their eyes will be opened wider to the children around them.

      I want you to know I am sincerely flattered and grateful that you find my writing worthy of your time. Time is so precious. Thank you, again.

      Delete
  2. I am going to get both of your books on Audible. It will be hard to listen to but I feel I need to due to my own abuse. I was the target child out of my family as well. When I became an adult I asked my step-mother why she did what she did. She matter of factly told me the reason was because she could get away with it with me. I'm still confused about that statement. Some of the things she did to me I'll never understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about what you went through, Kim. Its so painful to be the only one.

      Thank you for taking an interest in my story. I hope you will glean from it something that will nourish your soul. Let me know if I can be of any help.

      Delete
  3. The following short paragraph is from my memoir, which is still a work in progress:

    PEOPLE SCREAM in horror movies when the unthinkable happens. But in real life -- that is, in my life -- I froze like a deer caught in headlights, the terror wedged in my throat.

    ~ ~ ~

    I am in my sixties now. My children are grown, my grandchildren are grown, and I have a toddler great-grandson. More than half a century has passed since the worst of my traumas happened -- and I still feel, at times, like I have a frozen scream wedged in my throat.

    You are right, we need to tell. We could not tell when it was happening. Thank God in heaven, we can tell now!

    I, too, have had people advise me not to tell. "Just let it all go, let the past stay in the past. Forgive and forget. Think about, write about, and talk about only GOOD things."

    I do not understand how anyone can be so presumptuous as to tell another adult what to think, what to say, and what to write. Especially when they have never gone through anything much worse in life than being dumped by a boyfriend. How dare they tell us how to handle our trauma?

    My therapist, on the other hand, a 67-year-old Christian, who is well trained and licensed to advise someone like me, has been urging me for years to write my memoir.

    Some of the people who have given me their unsolicited advice about not telling, quote Bible verses about forgiveness and honoring your father and mother, to back up their argument. But the Bible contains many stories about abuse, about murder, about adultery, and so on. Telling the truth of what happened, even when the truth is very ugly, must be important, because the Bible does this very thing.

    Like you, I thought I was the only one with a life like mine, until I read Dave Pelzer's A Child Called It. Knowing that I am not the only one is validating and affirming, even though it is also heartbreaking.

    I am writing my story because I have had a scream caught in my throat for more than five decades, and I need to let it out. I am writing my story for people like you and me, who need the validation that they are not the only one.

    I am writing my story because I could not tell when it was happening, and now... I Can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You GO girl!!

      The people who tell you to let go of the past don't realize that what happened to us is impossible to forget. Write. It's cathartic.

      The excerpt from your book sounds good; can't wait until it comes out. HUGS.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I clicked back here and discovered that my comment had posted twice, so I deleted one. I don't understand why that is happening.

    ReplyDelete