Tuesday, May 1, 2012

World Peace

The great thing about having a blog is that when you feel bitchy about something you can always write about it, and maybe one or two people might read it and say, “yeah, that pisses me off too!” Or not. But it doesn’t matter anyway, because the point of the bitchy blog—or as I like to call it, “the blitch”—is to vent. And we all need to vent; Dr. Phil (or maybe it’s Dr. Oz) says it’s good for your mental and emotional health. So, in the interest of my sanity, and in the spirit of doctors Phil and Oz, here’s my “blitch.”

Back in September of last year, NBA player, Ron Artest of the LA Lakers changed his name to Metta World Peace. His new first name, the Buddaist word Metta, means "loving kindness and friendliness towards others." His new last name is, well, self-explanatory. Mr. Artest...excuse me...Mr. World Peace, (or maybe it's Mr. Peace, and his middle name is World) according to his own words, changed his name "to inspire and bring youth together all around the world."

Now isn’t that special.

The name change sounds like a lovely gesture by an obviously lovely man who, out of the goodness of his lovely heart, is taking advantage of his privileged position as an NBA star to influence millions of young people around the world.

HA! 

For those of you who aren’t already familiar with the professional athlete formerly known as Ron Artest, allow me to give you a brief history of his humanitarian nature, his “loving kindness and friendliness.” I’ll start with his most recent gesture of brotherly love toward one of his fellow ball players. It happened Sunday before last, during a game with the Oklahoma City Thunder. After an admittedly impressive fast-break dunk over Durant and Serge Ibaka, World Peace came down growling viciously, pounding his chest with one fist and threw a hard elbow to the head of Thunder guard, James Harden.

It was an accident, according to World Peace. An accident forceful enough to cause Harden to have a concussion. WP later claimed he was merely celebrating the dunk and got "real emotional and excited.” But when the officials reviewed the tape and realized it was clearly no accident they ejected him on the spot. Last Tuesday the NBA announced that he is suspended for seven games. Looks like he’s probably going to miss the first round of the playoffs. Pity. In this humble “blitcher’s” opinion he got off easy, given his history of violence.

The elbow incident was only the finale to World Peace’s long list of aggressive behavior. During the 2011 playoffs, in a game against the Mavericks, he slung a forearm and struck J.J. Barea in the face. Before he joined the Lakers he had been suspended 12 times in his 13 year career. In 2007 he was arrested on a domestic violence charge. In 2004, back when he played for the Indiana Pacers, he leaped into the stands and attacked one of the fans. Now that was classy. There’s more, a lot more, I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

Being the huge NBA fan that I am, I can appreciate World Peace’s talent and passion for the game. And in his defense I believe he tried to clean up his image by changing his name. He appeared on Dancing With the Stars and the cast of the show thought he was a really nice guy. Last April he was presented with the NBA’s J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award for his work on mental health awareness. He tried, God love him.

Every time a commentator says his name “...and World Peace goes up for the block...” I bust out laughing. As I write this I can’t even type it and keep a straight face. But that’s just me; I’m a sucker for irony. And maybe I have a warped sense of humor because whenever I see him a vision of Miss Piggy pops into my head. She’s got on her wig and false eyelashes and lipstick, but it doesn’t change the fact that underneath all the glam she’s still a pig. And she always will be a pig.

4 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed this post!!
    I am a huge NBA fan, as well. The fact that we have that in common makes me adore you even more.
    Your book has touched my heart in a way that most books cannot. Because of what you went through growing up, no...let me rephrase...because of almost not surviving childhood, clearly, you now have a higher level of consciousness and view the world around you on a much deeper level than most.
    I thank you a million times for having the courage to put your history out there and for caring enough about your readers to continue updating us with this blog.
    May God continue to bless you, angel.
    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becky! I feel lIke I know you! What a sweetheart you are for reaching out to me...maybe we could be Facebook friends? Hugs!

      Delete
    2. After reading both Call Me Tuesday and now Call Me Cockroach, I feel like I know you, too!
      I feel like I shared your childhood and was sitting next to you while you endured the horrors a child never should have to. The way you write makes your readers feel like they are actually there with you and, therefore, a silent partner who shared your past. I just read the part about "Ryan" coming back to see you as an adult. Then I saw your post on here about him taking his own life. It makes me wonder if anything happened to him after you had left home.
      Your books are very detailed but there are little things that I am still curious about. Thanks to this blog, the question of what became of Rose is answered.
      I thank you for allowing us all into your life; you have many friends you don't even know about!
      I include you in my prayers that God will give you strength and allow you to realize that every morning is a brand new chance to change whatever in your life you would like to change. You now have the power to live and shape your life the way you want to. As long as you are still breathing you can change your relationships with people. God is always listening when you call upon Him. Instead of trying to deal with the demons of your past, hand them over to God and give them to Him.
      I do not have a Facebook, but I am on Instagram:
      @b_and_t_fitness

      Delete